- 1 pound beef shank
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 fluid ounces fresh lime juice
- In a large pot over low heat combine the beef, tomato, potatoes, onion, carrots, cabbage, garlic, 5 teaspoons cilantro, salt and cumin. Add water to cover and stir well. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove lid, stir, and simmer for another hour with lid off. Serve hot. Just before eating, squeeze in fresh lime juice to taste and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.Mo
Modifications: I wait and add the chopped cabbages & cilanto along with corn on the cob about two hours before dinner.